Career Resource Guide
**This career guide provides examples of opportunities for law students pursuing a career in the health law field. Please contact the CSO with any additional resources to supplement this compilation.
Professional Associations & Networking Organizations
· American Health Lawyers Association - AHLA’s website includes a Career Center where you can search through a variety of health law job postings.
· American Bar Association Health Law Section – Joining this section provides subscriptions to The Health Lawyer and other newsletters, opportunities to write in health law publications, and opportunities to attend and speak at health law conferences.
· Pennsylvania Bar Association Health Care Law Committee – This committee reviews and makes recommendations concerning legislative proposals for reform in the health-care system and addresses ethical considerations relating to the medical and legal professions.
· American Public Health Association – APHA offers networking opportunities, career resources, access to the association’s annual meeting, webinars, and public health newsletters.
· Health Care Compliance Association - HCCA is a non-profit organization for compliance professionals in the healthcare field. Resources include a job board and weekly newsletter.
· National Health Law Program - This is a network of Health Law professionals. You can join the “Friends of NHeLP” group and attend networking programs and educational presentations.
· The Network for Public Health Law – Join the Student Network for Public Health Law at no cost to get the latest information on public health law, receive the Network’s bi-weekly newsletter, participate in the student mentorship program, and attend the annual Public Health Law Conference in Washington, DC.
· American College of Healthcare Executives – ACHE is an international organization of 40,000 members including healthcare executives who lead hospitals, healthcare systems and other healthcare organizations.
· American College of Legal Medicine - Through its medical legal resources, the ACLM educates and assists health care and legal professionals, influences health policy, and promotes research and scholarship. The ACLM website contains information on conferences, health-law publications, and student writing competitions.
· American Society for Healthcare Risk Management – ASHRM is a membership group of the American Hospital Association with nearly 6,000 members representing risk management, patient safety, insurance, law, finance and other related professions.
· American Society for Pharmacy Law – ASPL is a non-profit organization of law students, students of pharmacy, pharmacists and attorneys who are interested in the law as it applies to pharmacy, pharmacists, wholesalers, manufacturers, state and federal government and interested parties.
· Healthcare Financial Management Association - The HFMA website offers a job bank, list of executive firms, and a resume referral service.
Internships & Job Opportunities
· Community Health Law Project – CHLP is always looking for legal interns to assist with their cases and projects. Application instructions appear on the website under “Careers.” There are regional offices in several locations within New Jersey.
· Pennsylvania Health Law Project - PHLP is a nationally recognized expert and consultant on access to health care for low-income consumers, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities. Internship and employment opportunities are available on their website.
· Bridging the Gaps – BTG’s Community Health Internship Program (CHIP) is a seven-week summer interdisciplinary program that combines the provision of health-related services for underserved populations with the training of student interns, including law students, in the health and social services fields (locations in Philadelphia).
· In-House Counsel Positions – Some pharmaceutical companies have summer diversity legal internship programs advertised via Symplicity and company websites. Law students also serve internships and co-ops within the legal departments of universities (e.g., Drexel College of Medicine) and several hospitals in the Greater Philadelphia Area.
o See Symplicity for New Jersey Law Journal Directory of In-House Counsel and job postings
o See company websites and speak with Professor Parambath for co-op opportunities
o Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Health Law Committee:
· Pennsylvania Department of Public Health – Legal internships available within the Governor’s Office of General Counsel.
· Medical Legal Community Partnership (MLCP) – MLCP is part of a collaboration between Philadelphia Legal Assistance and the Philadelphia Department of Public Health to provide free legal assistance on-site at community health centers.
· Philadelphia Veterans Administration Medical Center – The Philadelphia VA Medical Center provides health care to Veterans living in Philadelphia and six surrounding counties in Southeastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey. Legal internships available.
· U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has a link to a comprehensive list of job openings available within all HHS agencies. Co-op opportunities in Region 3 (Philadelphia).
o https://www.hhs.gov/ocr/index.html (HHS Office for Civil Rights)
· Congressional Committees including Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions
o See Symplicity for Capitol Hill resources
· U.S. Food And Drug Administration (FDA) - This page contains general information about careers in health law with the FDA as well as contact information for interested applicants.
· Government Honors and Internship Handbook – This handbook contains information about all federal government honors programs, including CDC and FDA.
o http://arizonahandbooks.com/u/drexellawcareers (See Symplicity Homepage for log-in)
· PSJD Career Guide – This guide provides a brief overview of the health law field, including practical information regarding the types of employers and practice settings in which you can pursue a career, practical skills you can gain during law school, and resources to further research this field.
· The Network for Public Health Law – This site contains resources on a wide variety of public health law issues, including 50-state surveys, legal fact sheets, issue briefs, and a lawyer directory.
· American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) -- Careers in Healthcare Management
· Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI): https://www.fdli.org/
· FDA Transparency Blog - https://fdatransparencyblog.fda.gov/about/
· Careers in Health Law and Life Sciences – This brochure, written by NALP and AHLA, is located in the Career Strategies Office.
· “I’m Interested in Health Law – Now Where Can I Get a Job” – Located in Symplicity/Resources.
· Martindale-Hubbell – Use this site to conduct a proactive job search targeting law firms with medical malpractice and health care law practices.
o Also search Symplicity/Resources law firm spreadsheets by practice area (PA and NJ)
· Dornsife School of Public Health, Drexel University – List of Events open to law students
· LinkedIn - LinkedIn is a great tool for networking, job postings and alerts, and conducting an Advanced Search to learn if you have any personal connections to employers of interest.