Career Resource Guide
*This career guide provides examples of opportunities for law students pursuing a career in criminal law. Please contact the CSO with any additional resources to supplement this compilation.
*Please visit the CSO for individual job search guidance for internships and post-graduate positions.
Professional Associations & Networking Organizations
· Philadelphia Bar Association Criminal Justice Section – Join this section to meet and learn from criminal law practitioners, attend monthly meetings, and become involved with the group in examining issues that arise in the everyday practice of criminal law in Philadelphia.
· Pennsylvania Bar Association Criminal Justice Section – Members of this section (attorneys from all counties of Pennsylvania) focus on the development, improvement and practical working of the Commonwealth’s criminal justice system.
· Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – This association is open to law students and attorneys admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
· Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association – This site includes job postings, the Pennsylvania District Attorney Directory, information about annual conferences and training seminars, and electronic newsletters.
· Association of Federal Defense Attorneys – This site provides key updates on developments in federal criminal law, access to online seminars on a wide variety of topics in federal criminal law and other resources.
· Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey – Membership provides access to a network of experienced criminal practitioners, periodic lectures and seminars, the ACDL-NJ Listserv, and the ACDL-NJ Brief Bank. ACDL-NJ members exchange information, share sample pleadings and briefs, and receive thorough and timely updates on New Jersey criminal case law.
Internships & Job Opportunities
**If interested in interning at a prosecutor’s office or public defender, the CSO strongly recommends casting a wide net and submitting applications to offices in several counties (e.g., Camden County, Chester County, Montgomery County). Many DAs and PDs offices in the greater Philadelphia area and New Jersey participate in area job fairs and On-Campus Interviewing (OCI) at Kline School of Law. Some prosecutor’s offices in large counties, such as the Manhattan DA’s Office, will interview rising 2Ls as early as August for the following summer (they consider 1L candidates Dec. 1st).
· Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office – The DA’s Office recruits legal interns mainly through On-Campus Interviewing and Job Fairs. See Symplicity and CSO Announcements.
· Defender Association of Philadelphia – Like the Philadelphia DA’s Office, the Defender Association of Philadelphia recruits legal interns mainly through On-Campus Interviewing and Job Fairs. See Symplicity and CSO Announcements.
· Gideon’s Promise Law School Partnership Project – Public Criminal Defense Fellowship
· U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division (Attorney General’s Honors Program, Summer Law Intern Program (SLIP), and Volunteer Legal Internships)
· Delaware Department of Justice
Additional Resources and Career Fairs
Criminal Law Concentration Contact: Professor Emily Zimmerman